For those who like to straighten periodically, please share your flatironing tips and suggestions here. Be sure to include your hair-type and any thermal rec's as well.Flatironing Rules of Thumb
1. Hair should be clean, (conditioned) dry and healthy prior to flatironing.
2. Damaged or breaking hair or hair that is recovering from damage (or loss), should never
be straightened (or blow-dried) with heat.
3. Healthy hair that is straight, wavy or curly should never be straightened more than
4. Healthy hair that is curly, coily, cottony or spongy should never be straightened more
than twice, monthly.
5. Heat should never be used on hair that is prone to excessive shedding (or already damaged).
6. Flatirons (or straightening combs) with teeth should never be used, ever. They pull hair
and cause additional breakage/damage.
7. Always use a thermal protectant.
8. Never flatiron wet or damp hair --it will singe and scorch (causing damage to the cortex)
9. Never use any tool that doesn't have manual temperature control.Top Pure Ceramic Brands:GHD
– Straight, WavyFHI Platform
– Thick, Wavy, Curly, CoilySolia
– Wavy, Curly, Coily, Multi-ethnicHai
– Straight, Wavy, Curly, CoilySedu
– Wavy, Curly, Coily, or TexturizedFarouk CHI
– Thick, Wavy, CurlyTop Ceramic Coated Brands:Wigo
- Thick, Curly, Coily, Cottony, SpongyJilbere de Paris
Ceramic Tools Pro – Thick, Curly, Coily, Cottony, Spongy (Jilbere de Paris model is Now Conair Ceramic Tools Pro)Thermal Protectant Suggestions
Note: Always deep condition and apply a thermal protectant (and allow hair to airdry overnight 24-12 hours) prior to flatironing and reapply a small amount of thermal product before iron use.
Biosolk Silk Therapy
Miracle 10 Heat Protector
Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide Protective Smoother
CHI Silk Infusion (great for pretecting ends)
Marc Anthony Straightening CreamWhere To Find Flatirons:OCFShoppe™